Safer in the home

Safer in the Home is a program designed to expand the availability and reach of basic safety and security measures that support women and accompanying children experiencing family violence to remain safely in their homes. This early intervention and crisis prevention program includes risk assessments, safety planning and basic security upgrades for women and children who are assessed to be at low risk of further incidents of family violence.

There is no cost to the referring program or to the client whose home receives a basic security upgrade. This includes people who do not own their own home, whether renting, in government supplied housing or other forms of housing. There may need to be some liaison with the property owner around installation of security doors and locks. This service will be made available as widely as possible to women who fit the program criteria including those in remote areas.

This program provides:

- Provide expert advice, as required, to referring Salvation Army service providers on women’s risk and safety related to family violence

- Assess the safety and suitability of women referred to the program, ensuring they meet the criteria and we can provide them the best possible response

- Organise a security assessment and basic upgrade, as required, of the woman’s home through Protective Group

- Monitor the effectiveness of the security upgrade through maintaining periodic contact with the woman’s TSA case manager.

- Provide basic training to TSA service provider staff around the Safer in the Home program and women’s risk and safety from a family violence perspective.

- Provide secondary consultation to TSA service providers who have referred women to the program, particularly when the referral does not fit the program criteria.

Security upgrades will be tailored to the requirements of individual women and informed by an on-site risk and security assessment by a Protective Group accredited contractor. The funding agreement limits the scope of the program to those items which are suitable for early intervention with women and children considered to be at the lower end of the family violence risk scale. Upgrades could consist of any combination of the following:

- Security screens and doors

- New locks

- Sensor lights

- Improving external visibility through trimming trees, bushes etc.

- Scanning mobile phones for potential security breaches.

Referral criteria for Safer in the Home

- Women and their children who are experiencing low risk family violence who want to remain living in their home and

- Are receiving or will be receiving, ongoing case management support from a The Salvation Army service provider.

How is Safer in the Home different from Safe at Home?

Currently delivered in all states and territories (except NT), Safe at Home has been a well-received, practical response utilised by specialist family violence providers as part of a suite of service responses that improve the safety of women and children who have experienced violence. Safe at Home targets women with higher risk of family violence and includes a broader suite of security interventions to keep those women and their children safe. This program -Safer in the Home -will fill a service gap, targeting women and children considered to be at the lower end of the family violence risk scale and is an early intervention, crisis prevention program.