If your having problems with debt and financial difficulties, your starting point should be the National Debt Helpline 1800 007 007.
Financial counselling helps you manage your debts and get your finances back under control.
Get advice about
- Your financial situation, to help you fully understand your position.
- How to prioritise your debts
- The pros and cons of the options that might work for you in addressing your debts (for example, repayment of loans, negotiating with creditors, bankruptcy and so on. There are always options.
- Your rights and responsibilities around credit and debt.
- How to access other services you may need, such as legal services, crisis food and accommodation services, and health services.
- Bushfire specific Financial Counselling advice
Financial counselling is free, confidential and independent. The National Deb Helpline is a not-for-profit, community based service that's available to people in Australia experiencing financial difficulty.