Vulnerable people and people in self isolation will be able to order their Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS) prescriptions remotely and have their medicines home delivered for free to reduce their potential exposure to COVID-19.
Why is this important? This temporary measure will protect the most vulnerable members of our community and is available to:
• people isolating themselves at home on the advice of a medical practitioner, in accordance with home isolation guidance issued by the Australian Health Protection Principle Committee for confirmed COVID19 cases,
• people who meet the current national triage protocol criteria for suspected COVID-19 infection after consultation with either the national COVID-19 hotline, state COVID-19 hotlines, a registered medical or nursing practitioner, or COVID-19 trained health clinic triage staff
• people aged over 70 • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged over 50
• people with chronic health conditions or who are immunocompromised
• parents with new babies and people who are pregnant.
Since the announcement of the scheme Australia Post has stepped in to make this process a lot easier by utilising its express post system to assist from pharmacy to home delivery for these medicines. Making it free for delivery and following a non-contact delivery process to help restrict the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Phone your local pharmacy for more details.
Last updated 6 April, 2020