Code Blue response to extreme weather aiming to reduce the harmful effects on people rough sleeping by:
- connecting them with support services
- providing additional services including extended operating hours for services, increased shelter options, additional food services, sunscreen etc.
Housing SA activates Code Red and Code Blue, coordinating the response across South Australia in partnership with other services.
When a Code Blue response is activated, homelessness services will visit known rough sleeper locations to make people aware of the supports available to them.
Triggers for Code Blue
- Conditions predicted to continue for at least three days by the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) with any two of the following:
- temperatures dropping below an average night-time low of 6°C
- significant rainfall causing difficulty for unsheltered individuals to remain dry
- damaging wind gusts pose a high risk for the safety of unsheltered individuals.
- Conditions predicted by BOM to continue for at least five days, when temperatures drop below an average night-time low of 5°C
- Any other factors related to extreme winter weather which require a Code Blue response.