Facilitates access to justice for the financially disadvantaged by referring them to a network of existing legal service providers and by referring meritorious cases to a safety net of legal firms willing to assist on a pro bono basis. (free or at reduced cost). JusticeNet can also assist charitable and community organisations.
To ensure that pro bono resources are directed to those most in need, eligibility criteria and guidelines to all applications are applied and are unlikely to be able to assist with:
- Family law or criminal law matters, except in exceptional circumstances
- Complex commercial or building disputes
- People who we consider can afford to pay a lawyer, obtain legal aid, or obtain 'no win, no fee' assistance (such as in personal injury claims).
Services available include:
Pro Bono Referral Service
This service can connect you with a pro bono lawyer to provide you with free civil law advice, assistance or representation.
Free advice and assistance to people representing themselves in the:
- Supreme Court and District Court (civil jurisdiction)
- Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court (certain areas of the general federal jurisdiction)
Refugee and Asylum Seeker Project
Specialist referral for individuals who have made a claim for protection under the Refugee Convention.
Last updated 1 September, 2016