The South Australian Government provides many recovery programs and assistance for those affected by Fire and disasters.
If you need:
- advice about what to do after an emergency or disaster
- information about the help available after an emergency or disaster
visit the Disaster Recovery pages on SA.gov.au.
If your having problems with debt and financial difficulties, your starting point should be the National Debt Helpline 1800 007 007.
Financial counselling helps you manage your debts and get your finances back under control.
Get advice about
- Your financial situation, to help you fully understand your position.
- How to prioritise your debts
- The pros and cons of the options that might work for you in addressing your debts (for example, repayment of loans, negotiating with creditors, bankruptcy and so on. There are always options.
- Your rights and responsibilities around credit and debt.
- How to access other services you may need, such as legal services, crisis food and accommodation services, and health services.
- Bushfire specific Financial Counselling advice
Financial counselling is free, confidential and independent. The National Deb Helpline is a not-for-profit, community based service that's available to people in Australia experiencing financial difficulty.
Are you financially ready for a natural disaster?
Everyone’s situation is unique.
Some things are outside of your control, and there are some things you can do NOW to get ready.
But can you ever be truly financially ready for a natural disaster? The Salvation Army Moneycare team set out to answer this question with the Planning for the Unplanned program.
Getting financially ready for a natural disaster is not something you have to do alone. Moneycare has trained financial coaches who would love to support you on the journey of financial readiness. They will work with you on your goals for financial readiness, look at your options, and help connect you with a community of other support if you choose. The Moneycare team offers free workshops, either in person or online, and one-on-one support to guide you through this journey.
Free workshops are currently being offered for the Adelaide Hills and Kangaroo Island, run by a qualified financial counsellor experienced in bushfire recovery.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 722 363. You can also download the resource book from the Salvation Army website.
The River Murray is returning to regular levels. If you live or work in, visit or are passing through River Murray communities, keep up to date with any restrictions in place and follow advice from authorities. Recovery assistance and physical and mental health support is available for flood affected communities.
Rural Business Support’s Small Business Financial Counselling (SBFC) program is a free, independent and confidential program to assist eligible small business owners in rural areas who have been impacted by drought, or bushfire and COVID-19. The program is modelled on the successful Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS), which has been supporting farmers and rural-related businesses for more than 30 years.
Small Business Financial Counsellors live and work in those areas that have been affected by drought or bushfire, so they understand firsthand the complex challenges that small business owners are facing. With the added impact of COVID-19, the Australian Government has allocated additional funding through the Regional Recovery Small Business Support Program to help eligible business owners find a way forward.
A small business financial counsellor can provide support with:
- Considering different options to manage financial issues
- Developing budgets and cash flows
- Negotiating with creditors
- Accessing dispute resolution services
- Connecting with broader professional advice and support
- Applying for government and community grants, programs or schemes
During the 2022 River Murray Flood the Rural Business Support (RBS) are providing in-person financial counselling support for small businesses at the following centres:
Mannum Relief Centre
Mannum Football Club
28 Belvedere Road, Mannum
Berri Relief Centre
Berri Senior Citizens Club
9/12 Crawford Terrace, Berri