DV Protection for renters

Victims of domestic violence who are renting their homes may be able to leave violent relationships without facing financial penalties under their rental agreement. The CBS provides tenancy advice for tenants and agents about all the things related to renting any property.

Everyone has the right to feel safe and live in an environment free from violence. Domestic violence victims are able to stay or leave the property, either way you will need to apply to South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) and to have the perpetrator removed from the rental agreement.

You can contact this service via email, phone or in person at CBS - 91 Grenfell Street, Adelaide.


Domestic Violence and Aboriginal Family Violence Service - Uniting CountrySA

UCSA can help women and children who are experiencing domestic or family violence, who are homeless or at risk of being homeless with supported and independent accommodation.

Fore more information please phone UCSA 1300 06 7777.



1800RESPECT is the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service.

When you contact 1800RESPECT you will speak with a trained counsellor, who will listen and support you in what feels right for your situation.

If you or someone you know requires confidential support call 1800 737 732 or use their confidential online chat service located on their website 24/7.


A Right to be Heard

A booklet focusing on the issues surrounding domestic violence and the support services available for those in the Murray-Mallee Region. Drawing resources, information and combining the collective knowledge and experiences of individuals and agencies this booklet covers an extensive range of topics associated with domestic violence and uses examples to help provide context as to the effects of domestic violence as well as providing strategies in dealing with the many scenarios that could be encountered. The range of safety planning and resources specific to the region make for a substantial and conclusive list for anyone in threat of domestic violence in the Murray - Mallee Region. No matter what living arrangement domestic or family violence occurs in, everyone has a right to live in a safe and secure environment without the threat of violence. Domestic violence does not discriminate, it occurs across all cultures, across all socio-economic backgrounds, in all types of intimate relationships and at any stage of relationships – marriage, defacto, dating or separated. The booklet will be available across a range of Council Departments but is available as a PDF below in the related News Article available on the Affordable SA app. The file is large so please consider if your mobile data plan is limited.


Adult Safeguarding Unit

If you suspect you or someone you know is being abused or mistreated, you can contact the Adult Safeguarding Unit:

- Call 1800 372 310

- Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (except on Public Holidays) for free, confidential advice, information, or support or to make a report to the Unit

- Email adultsafeguardingunit@sa.gov.au

- Complete the online report form.

You can make a report about any adult over the age of 18 who may be vulnerable to abuse. The Adult Safeguarding Unit is not an emergency/crisis service.


Bramwell House

Provides supported crisis accommodation for single women and women with children escaping domestic violence.

Women are assisted with immediate needs. Bramwell House can provide a safe place to stay, Centrelink contact to establish an income, assistance with food, counselling and support. Bramwell House staff are committed to enabling women and their children, who have suffered abuse to make a new start.

Referrals to Bramwell House are accessible by calling the Domestic Violence Crisis Line on 1800 800 098.


Ceduna Domestic Violence Service

Centacare Catholic Family Services (Diocese of Port Pirie) provides crisis, case management and accommodation support for women and child or men and children.


Domestic and Aboriginal Family Violence Gateway

Women who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence including women and children who are homeless due to domestic violence and single homeless women over 18 years of age.

Emergency accommodation for women and children, including Aboriginal women and children experiencing or escaping domestic violence. Specialist children's and indigenous workers available.


Domestic Violence Crisis Line

Domestic Violence Crisis Line 1800 800 098.

Supporting anyone affected by violence and abuse in their personal relationships. Due to the volume of calls, it is at times necessary to leave a message. Messages left will be returned. Discretion is assured. Return messages will not be left with anyone other than the original caller.

If you are:

- Living in a violent or abusive relationship and are unsure about what to do

- Wanting to leave a violent relationship

- Or are wanting to talk about what is happening to you

Can help by:

- Facilitating access to safe accommodation

- Providing telephone counselling

- Providing face to face short term counselling

- Providing information about accommodation, police, legal, housing and financial issues

- Supporting you to remain safely at home

Offering a free, confidential and state-wide service, provided by the Women's Safety Services SA.