Common Ground

Common Ground provides supported housing programs for people experiencing homelessness in a managed apartment building – including spaces for community development, living skills and training activities, office areas for support staff and health professionals and services.

Common Ground strives to create opportunities for tenants to improve their lives via links to the arts, education, health and social services and sport and fitness and, where possible, employment or volunteering.

They provide housing in Adelaide and Port Augusta delivered by Housing Choices South Australia to residents of South Australia aged 18 years who are able to live independently.

Contact Common Ground on the number below for information on other eligibility criteria and how to apply.


RentRight SA (formerly TIAS)

RentRight SA is a free and independent service that assists people to maintain their tenancies in private rental, community housing or public housing.

RentRight SA provides advice and guidance regarding:

  • Leases
  • Bond disputes
  • Property maintenance
  • Unpaid rent

 The RentRight SA tenancy team are experienced with SACAT proceedings and can provide advocacy and support to ensure tenants are fairly represented through the process.

 Call RentRight SA to speak to a tenancy advisor or visit the website to make an online enquiry.


HYPA Housing

HYPA Housing offers young people aged 17 to 25 who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness safe and affordable mid-term housing options while they work towards independent housing.

They provide extra support to help tenants develop independent living skills with support workers available to help tenants improve their situation and to find a longer term place to live.

Potential tenants must complete and submit the referral form available on HYPA Housing's website.

To make an enquiry contact HYPA Housing via the online form at their website.


Community Housing Providers

Public and community housing for vulnerable and low income households who can't access or maintain other forms of accommodation like renting privately.

To access community housing you need to register for public and community housing. Further information on how to register, who can register, what you will need is available here.

Community housing providers have their own eligibility criteria and application process. The website lists community housing providers, who they house and their contact details.


Housing SA

SA Housing Authority delivers social housing services under the banner of “Housing SA”.

Housing SA provides rental properties for people on lower incomes where tenants typically pay no more than 25% of their income

Visit their website for further information on all topics related to public housing and to register for public and community housing.


Iris Property Management (rooming and boarding houses)

Iris Property Management specializes in share-housing (also called boarding or rooming houses) across Adelaide and in some regional areas of SA.

In an Iris House each resident has their own bedroom with a lock. Each bedroom is fully furnished and some have a private bathroom. There are shared common areas such as a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, toilet and laundry. Security cameras are in place in common areas.

Applications can be submitted by anyone unable to access government housing or private rental accommodation, including people who receive Centrelink, are unemployed or have limited rental history.

Visit the website to apply online or call the number below for more information.


Burlendi Youth Shelter

Burlendi is a residential program for people aged 15 to 17 who are in need of accommodation.

It provides emergency short term (3-12 months) housing for up to eight young people at a time and is staffed 24 hours a day.

Case managers provide support and information to help you with independent living skills and connecting with your community.

A referral to the service can be made through any support agency. An initial intake and assessment will be made by staff at the time of the referral.


Young Family Support Program - Centacare

Provides support and accommodation for young pregnant women and young mothers and their children or young families who are currently homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. You can approach these services directly or be referred through family, friends or any government or non-government agency.

Louise Place (Fullarton) - young women aged 18 and under. 24-hour supported accommodation with services that help them live independently through developing parenting and life skills. They also support young, pregnant women (aged 18 and under) to find the right medical and government services. Staff also run an outreach service to support young women up to the age of 25 who choose not to live at Louise Place.

Malvern Place (North Adelaide) - women aged 25 and under. Provides a safe and secure environment in individual fully-furnished family units. Support is offered to assist with pregnancy or parenting issues, support with personal goals, education or training and, importantly, support to find and maintain appropriate, long-term housing. There are also opportunities for children with on-site specialist children’s support and links with community child care providers and community health services. Support can continue for young women and their children once they have left Malvern Place through the outreach program.

Coolock House (Morphett Vale) - women 25 year olds and under. 24-hour supported accommodation in individual fully-furnished family units. Support is offered to assist with pregnancy or parenting challenges, personal goal setting, education, training, building independent living skills and their transition into long-term housing. Coolock House provides an on-site playgroup, crèche, specialist children’s workers and links to child care providers, community health services and other children’s supports. This assistance can continue into the future beyond their time at Coolock.

Findon Family Housing (West Adelaide) - Offers supported accommodation to young families up to the age of 25 years, who are pregnant or parenting and are homeless or are at-risk of homelessness but who have low need support requirements. Support is provided on a one-on-one basis and families are connected with local community services as required. This support covers issues such as pregnancy, parenting, developing life skills and reaching personal goals, education, training and assistance in finding ongoing appropriate, long-term affordable housing. While support services are free, rent is charged by Housing SA. Families are also responsible for their own utilities and living expenses.

Hannah Place (Pooraka) - provides support and accommodation to young women who are pregnant or parenting. Hannah Place houses young women aged up to 18 years in their own self-contained unit with on-site support. Supports are delivered in partnership with visiting services and include cooking lessons, craft, parenting and pregnancy education.


Muggy's Accommodation

Muggy's Accommodation provides medium to long-term accommodation for young people aged 16-18, who receive a Centrelink payment, are under the Guardianship of the Minister and who have experienced multiple previous placements. Muggy's operates in northern, southern and northern country Adelaide and is run by The Salvation Army.

To access this service please speak to your case worker about a referral to Muggy's.