Problem Gambling - Financial Counselling Services

Relationships Australia provides a range of free financial counselling services and support to anyone affected by problem gambling.

Gambling becomes a problem if someone spends more time or money than they can afford to, or if it is having a negative impact on their relationships.

Please contact the Gambling Help Service to speak to a counsellor or make an appointment. You can make an enquiry online through their web site.

After hours call the Gambling Hotline on 1800 858 858


You're the Boss

Money is something we all have to manage and we all have to look after our own costs for housing, food, medicine and transport. These are expenses we juggle everyday and we should make good decisions about them.

You're the Boss is all about giving you the skills you need to budget.

You're the Boss: Money Wisdom for Life - is a free downloadable step by step guidebook to walk you through important money considerations and conversations.

Be the Boss - is a free, 3 week online course with a series of short videos to help with some great money tips, get help to sort out your bills and take control of your money.

You can access Money Wisdom for Life and Be the Boss via the attached website.


Bankruptcy and the Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA)

Bankruptcy is a legal process where you're declared unable to pay your debts. It can release you from most debts, provide relief and allow you to make a fresh start.

You can choose to enter into bankruptcy. Bankruptcy normally lasts for 3 years and 1 day. To apply for Bankruptcy, you need to complete and submit a Bankruptcy Form to the Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA). This can be done through AFSA or you can contact them on 1300 364 785 and ask for it to be posted to you.

AFSA manages the application of bankruptcy and the personal property securities register in Australia. They offer information and links to advice on:

  • What to do if you can't pay your debts.
  • The process and consequences of bankruptcy and debt agreements.
  • Checking security interests registered against a second hand vehicle, eg: whether it is reported stolen, written off, or at risk of repossession.
  • Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) which may help to establish ownership in a dispute or solvency scenario.
  • What to do if owed money.

If you are thinking about going bankrupt, you can speak to a financial counsellor to discuss your options for dealing with your debt and getting back on track.

To speak to a financial counsellor please call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007.


Rural Financial Counselling

Rural Business Support provides free, independent and confidential financial counselling service for eligible clients who are experiencing financial hardship, or at risk of, financial hardship.

Programs and services are developed to inspire primary producers and small rural business owners to take action to improve their financial position and to manage change, risk and business challenges. Qualified Financial Counsellors can talk with you about your goals and plans for your business, discuss risk management and other strategies you may have, assess the options which may be available and help to make action plans to work towards business goals.

A rural financial counsellor can help you with:

  • Understanding your financial position
  • Future projections and scenarios
  • Exploring financial assistance options
  • Preparing for succession planning
  • Negotiating with lenders
  • Planning for family meetings
  • Referrals to other support including accountants, agricultural advisors, education, or counselling

This service is available to:

  • Primary producers
  • fishing enterprises
  • forest growers and harvesters, and 
  • small rural-related business owners

Utilities Literacy - ConnectED

ConnectEd aims to increase knowledge, skills and resources of all community members so they are better able to manage their essential household utilities, including electricity, gas, water and communications. ConnectEd staff work with community members to understand bills, identify opportunities to use less and save, look for better deals, and talk with utilities companies to get a better, fairer outcome.

ConnectEd team members can come and talk to your community group. In a one to two hour session, they focus broadly on energy and water concerns in the community, as well as providing valuable information on ways to help maintain affordable household utilities.

ConnectEd also provide financial counselling case management for individuals and families experiencing difficulty with utilities bills, no matter how simple or complex the situation.

To find out more or make an appointment, call or make an enquiry through their website.


Insurance Law Service

A help-line for consumers that provides advice on the following:

  • Home building and or contents insurance
  • Consumer credit insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Funeral insurance
  • Pet insurance
  • Income protection insurance
  • Superannuation related insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • Motor vehicle insurance (other than CTP)
  • Debts to insurance companies in relation to motor vehicle accidents

For further information call 1300 663 464 or visit the website

Usual hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm.


Seniors Card

A Seniors Card is a free discount card offering savings on goods and services to seniors, including transport concessions and participating business discounts.

The Seniors Card Discount Directory lists businesses that offer discounts to Seniors Card holders and you can view the Directory online.

You can apply for a South Australian Seniors Card if:

  • You are aged 60 years and older
  • You are a permanent South Australian resident
  • You are not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment

Apply for a Seniors Card online via the website or print and complete the application form below.

For further information, visit the website or call the number below.


Australian Financial Complaints Authority

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) helps consumers and small business to make and resolve complaints about financial institutions such as banks, insurance agencies, financial planners, mortgage brokers or superannuation funds.

AFCA is a free and independent dispute resolution service that handles complaints about:

  • Credit, finance and loans
  • Insurance
  • Banking deposits and payments
  • Investments
  • Financial advice
  • Superannuation

For further information about their complaint process and to make a complaint online go to AFCA's website or call the AFCA Helpline on the number below.


Household Relief Loans

Good Shepherd in collaboration with the Australian Government, are providing no interest loans up to $3000 for rent, utilities, council rates and body corporate fees.

You may be eligible for a Household Relief Loan without interest if you:

  • Are 16 years or over
  • Are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or hold a valid visa that expires after the loan term
  • Have a before tax annual income of less than $60,000 if you are single, or less than $100,000 for couples or people with dependents
  • Have lost your job, had income reduced, moved onto Centrelink payments after February 2020 or been otherwise financially impacted by Covid-19

For more information or to apply online visit their web site of call 1300 121 130.