Legal Services Commission

Provides legal advice, assistance and referral services if you cannot afford to pay for private legal advice. The legal commission has a central office in Adelaide with offices in metropolitan and regional SA.

Free legal advice is available over the telephone Monday to Friday 9am-4.30pm.

Free 30min appointments for legal advice on most areas of law such as:

Family Law, Criminal Law, Civil Law, Neighbour Disputes, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Debt Matters, Domestic Violence, etc.

The appointments are not means tested and follow up appointments may be available if required. Minor assistance may be provided in certain circumstances when no grant of legal aid is provided. Appointments are available at any office within local opening hours schedule.

Telephone appointments also available.

Other Assistance

- The Adelaide office has specialist social security advisors who can provide help and advice about Centrelink matters

- Child Support Unit for specialised advice on Child Support matters

- Duty Solicitor available at the Most Magistrates Courts and the Youth Court

- Legal aid representation if eligible through a grant of legal aid- application forms available on website or from any office.

- Community Legal Education can be provided. Follow the links on our website at

- Legal Chat is an online interactive chat information service available via the website. Chat in real time to an adviser for enquiries relating to legal information. Operating Monday – Friday 9.00 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.

- 24 Legal allows you to quickly and conveniently access reliable legal information that’s written in plain-English and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The free service covers more than 60 common legal areas and is especially useful for legal matters that arise outside office hours.

Offices in Adelaide, Elizabeth, Noarlunga, Port Adelaide, Port Augusta and Whyalla.


Family Relationship Advice Line

A national telephone service established to assist families affected by relationship or separation issues. The Advice Line provides information on family relationship issues and advice on parenting arrangements after separation. The advice line is for anyone affected by the issue. This includes parents, grand parents, children, young people, step-parents or friends. It can also refer callers to local services that can provide assistance. The Family Relationship Advice Line (1800 050 321) is available from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday (local time), except national public holidays. Special arrangements are indicated on the linked website for callers who are deaf or have hearing difficulties.


Family Violence Law Help

Family Violence Law Help is an information based website for people affected by domestic violence, to help you learn more about domestic violence and the law in Australia.

This service offers free and easy to understand information on domestic violence, family advocacy, family law, child protection law, intervention orders and where to get help.

The website can be translated into different languages and has useful fact sheets and illustrations to help with readability.

The links below will provide information for South Australian based services.


Flinders Legal Centre

Flinders Legal Centre is a free legal service providing advice in relation to dispute matters where the financial amount is not more than $12,000.

If you are involved in a dispute, they can help you with the following:

- Understanding the relevant law

- Options for resolving your dispute

- Referring you to other relevant agencies

- Managing your own claim

If you want your matter to go to Court or it is already in Court, and the financial amount is not more than $12,000, they may be able to help with:

- Things you might have to do before lodging a claim with the Court

- Preparing Court documents

- Explaining Court procedures

For more information, visit the website, or call and leave a voicemail at the number below


Homeless Persons Legal Service

This service can be accessed through Adelaide Legal Outreach Service


JusticeNet SA

Facilitates access to justice for the financially disadvantaged by referring them to a network of existing legal service providers and by referring meritorious cases to a safety net of legal firms willing to assist on a pro bono basis. (free or at reduced cost). JusticeNet can also assist charitable and community organisations.

To ensure that pro bono resources are directed to those most in need, eligibility criteria and guidelines to all applications are applied and are unlikely to be able to assist with: - Family law or criminal law matters, except in exceptional circumstances - Complex commercial or building disputes - People who we consider can afford to pay a lawyer, obtain legal aid, or obtain 'no win, no fee' assistance (such as in personal injury claims). Services available include: Pro Bono Referral Service This service can connect you with a pro bono lawyer to provide you with free civil law advice, assistance or representation. Self-Representation Services Free advice and assistance to people representing themselves in the: - Supreme Court and District Court (civil jurisdiction) - Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court (certain areas of the general federal jurisdiction) Refugee and Asylum Seeker Project Specialist referral for individuals who have made a claim for protection under the Refugee Convention.


Magistrates Court Legal Advice Service (MCLAS)

Free Legal Clinic is provided to assist the most vulnerable and underprivileged members of the community. Services are staffed by final year law student, and all services are supervised by experienced lawyers.

The MCLAS deals with disputes that fall within the Minor Civil Claims jurisdiction, Fencing Disputes, Negligence, Utilities, Building Disputes, Child Maintenance, Debt, Land and Contractual Disputes.

The Magistrates Court Legal Advice Service cannot provide advice in criminal and family law matters.

For further information or to make and appointment email or contact the service via phone.

Appointments are held at 10.00am, 11.00am, 12.00pm and 1.00pm at the Magistrates Court, Victoria Square, Adelaide


Ombudsman SA

There are multiple Ombudsman services in Australia that work across a number of sectors.

Ombudsman SA specifically handles complaints about SA Government departments.

To access the Ombudsman SA service, it is a requirement that you have initially attempted to resolve your complaint with the relevant government department. If the attempt to resolve the complaint was unsuccessful, Ombudsman SA can help to gain a resolution. Ombudsman SA can investigate complaints such as:

- A decision making process

- A failure to act or delay in taking action

- An unreasonable or unfair decision or requirement

- Staff Conduct or service delivery

For more information, visit the website or call the number below.


Outstanding Fines Assistance

If you are experiencing difficulty paying your overdue fines you can apply for a payment arrangement plan assistance. This will give you more time to pay your fines and more options in how you pay.

You can avoid enforcement actions such as suspension of driver's licence or clamping of your car, if you apply for a payment plan using the pdf attached to manage your fines or phone to make an appointment for a face to face meeting to discuss your situation.

There are several ways to pay your fine over an extended period including regular smaller payments via direct debit from Centrepay

You may be asked to provide some details regarding your financial situation to help you find a suitable arrangement.